7-AAD is a fluorescent DNA binding dye that is membrane impermeant and therefore generally excluded from live cells and early apoptotic cells, but stains necrotic and late apoptotic cells with compromised membrane integrity.
- Selective detection of dead cells by flow cytometry in the PE-Cy®5/PerCP channel
- Perform cell cycle profiling by flow cytometry in fixed/permeabilized cells
- λEx/λEm (with DNA) = 546/647 nm (7-AAD can also be excited by the 488 or 532 laser lines)
- Orange red solid soluble in DMF or DMSO
- Store at -20°C and protect from light, especially in solution
- MW: 1270.45
- 7-AAD bound to DNA has a large Stokes shift with excitation/emission at 546/647 nm. The dye can be excited with either the 488 nm or 532 nm laser lines, and detected in the PE-Cy®5/PerCP flow cytometry channel. 7-AAD is widely used for live/dead cell discrimination.
- It also can be used in fixed and permeabilized cells for cell cycle profiling by DNA content analysis using flow cytometry. 7-AAD intercalates selectively at GC-rich regions of DNA, making it dye useful for chromosome banding studies. We offer 7-AAD as a solid powder (catalog no. 40037) or as a solution in 1 mg/mL DMSO:Water (1:1)
butyl-1H- indazol-3-yl) acetamido)- 3,3-dimethyl butanamide
Formulation(Request formulation change)
- DMF: 20 mg/ml
- DMSO: 5 mg/ml
- Ethanol: 20 mg/ml
Shipping & Storage Information
Wet ice in continental US; may vary elsewhere
≥ 2 years
7-aminoactinomycin D (7-AAD) is a fluorescent intercalator that undergoes a spectral shift upon association with DNA. 7-AAD/DNA complexes can be excited by the 488 nm laser and has an emission maxima of 647 nm, making this nucleic acid stain useful for multicolor fluorescence microscopy and flow cytometry. 7-AAD appears to be generally excluded from live cells, but can be used with cells that have been fixed and permeabilized. 7-AAD has been used for cell cycle analysis by flow cytometry. 7-AAD also binds selectively to GC regions of DNA yielding a distinct banding pattern in polytene chromosomes and chromatin for use in chromosome banding studies.